It's a frying pan...but not as we know it! - Ozeri review

We all have them, we all use them.  But, we generally all fall out of love with them quickly as they start to stick.  You know what I'm talking about, right?  Well, it has to be frying pans? 

I have at least 3 big frying pans and 1 small one.  I have had them for a little while, but they have all lost there gleam and optimum cooking potential.  They do look a little sad to say the least!

So, when I was offered an Ozeri Stone Earth Pan to review, I jumped at the chance.  I had heard about these pans, but hadn't got around to getting one.





















If you haven't heard about Ozeri and their ranges, they are manufacture high quality products and gadgets for the home, kitchen and bathroom.  The designs are always modern and sleek and uber functional.

The Ozeri Stone Earth Pan I received was 10" (26cm). This is a perfect size for me.  I was expecting it to be quite heavy, considering it is made from stone, but was pleasantly surprised to find it was quite easy to carry, even when hot and/or containing cooked food.

 






The Stone Earth Pan has a Stonehenge coating, which is a natural stone-derived coating from Germany that achieves non-stick perfection while remaining absolutely free of PFOA.

You are probably wondering what PFOA is! It's quite daunting really, but here goes.

PFOA is a chemical and is readily absorbed following ingestion.  It is moderately toxic following ingestion, causing effects on the liver and gastrointestinal tract.

Basically, PFOA is a harmful chemical which is found in traditional cookware and once ingested it takes years and years for the body to get rid of it.  A build of it in your system can effect your liver and gastro lining.

Serious stuff.

So, another HUGE tick for the Stone Earth Pan.

It's 100% safe , it contains no harmful metals and has a superior non-stick performance. The stone derived coating is durable and scratch-resistant.

The handle is very comfortable as it is made out of silicon and does not get hot when the pan is hot. It can even go into the oven. The pan is extremely easy to clean.  Unfortunately, is can't go into the dishwasher, but it just requires and rinse and wipe clean (seriously, that's all it needs, no scrubbing).

I found that when I was cooking, I was using less heat than a traditional frying pan.  The food was being cooked evenly too.  This is because the Stone Earth Pan is a better conductor of heat.

I always struggle making pancakes and parathas with my current frying pans, as they always stick.  So I thought I would challenge the Stone Earth Pan.

I 'seasoned' the pan when I first used it.  As the pan is straight from the box it is recommended that a small amount of oil is rubbed into the pan.  This enables better cooking productivity, and also means you do not need to put so much oil when doing subsequent cooking.

Paratha cooking on the Stone Earth Pan
 
 
 
American style pancakes cooking on the Stone Earth Pan



I have to say, even though these were the first times I used the pan, the results were really good.  No sticking at all.  I tried again a few days later and it was the same results.  Totally non-stick.
 
I can tell that this is going to be a good pan.  For the pure fact that there isn't any coating on the pan and it's a stone derived coating.  Making it totally natural to cook on.
 
For storage the pan comes with a pan protector which is designed to protect the surface and coating against scratches. You need to place the protector on top of the pan before storing other pans on top of it.
 

 
 
It really is a good pan and a great investment. I can imagine these pans lasting a lot longer than the traditional pans we use.
 
 
Disclaimer: I was sent this product to review. All opinions and views are my own.