How to Train your Dragon puzzle - review

Puzzled by dragons?  You don't need to be anymore!

How to train your Dragon is a wonderful animated movie loosely based on the British book series of the same name by Cressida Cowell.

The story takes place in a mythical Viking world where a young Viking teenager, named Hiccup, aspires to follow his tribe's tradition of becoming a dragon slayer. After finally capturing his first dragon (a rare Night Fury) and with his chance at finally gaining the tribe's acceptance, he finds that he no longer has the desire to kill it and instead befriends it.

I remember watching the first How to Train Your Dragon with my eldest son back in 2010. It was an awesome film.  Meaningful, witty, and captivating.  My son loved it too, especially 'Toothless', the main dragon (which he calls Miaow Dragon).

This year, How to Train Your Dragon 2 came out and we had to see this one too.  It seriously doesn't disappoint.  The same gang are back with adventures and amusement a plenty.

 
We actually saw the movie during the summer holidays so it was wonderful to be asked to review a How to Train Your Dragon puzzle by Ravensburger

I always worry about puzzles, that children lose interest as they get difficult in places.  I was really surprised with this one.  It kept Joshua's interest right through until the final piece.

The box actually contains three different puzzles (as the above picture shows).  The box also comes with three pictures which you can use as little posters too.

 

The puzzle pieces are well made, so they can be used over and over again without the edges coming apart (that really irks me!).  They are a good size for little hands, but not too big that they seem like a baby puzzle. 

Although the pictures look detailed, the way the puzzle has been broken up means that little minds stay focused on the puzzle and they don't get disheartened quickly. 

 

 

 


Just as a helping hand, don't do what I did when I first opened the box.  I was trying to separate the three puzzles by looking at the pictures and placing the corresponding pieces on each picture.  I was a bit perturbed at this I thought children would get super bored trying to separate the pieces before even attempting the put the puzzle together.  Along comes Joshua (who is 5) and looks at the puzzle pieces for about 2 seconds and says to me "why don't you sort it by the patterns on the back of the puzzle".  Basically, one puzzle has stripes on the back, one has spots on the back and the other has another pattern on the back!  He is obviously wiser than his mummy!!

This is lovely little puzzle.  Great for those colder and wetter days which seem to be on us now.  I had a lovely time with this puzzle and it really helps with communicating with your child too! Boys tend to not say much but whilst constructing our puzzle Joshua couldn't stop talking about everything and anything!

I might go out and get another one.



Disclaimer:  I was send this product to review.  All opinions and views are my own.